Monday, November 20, 2017

5 Different Feelings at Work

We all know that a work day can sometimes be happy but sometimes crappy. Unless you're one of those people with a dream job. Boo. Don't tell me about it.

Our emotions at work can sometimes be a roller coaster of a ride. Working in events, I kid you not. It's a freaking love hate relationship with your job and your clients. This may relate to jobs in other industries too. But I'll be speaking from an events team perspective but you may find this relates to you.

These are the 5 emotions we may go through on a typical work day.

1. OMG I have shitloads of work to do! *freak out
Why won't these people stop calling me?! Don't you know that I just came back from nodding my head and saying "I understand" to a fussy organizer for the past hour? Yes yes I know you want your tax invoice. Yes and you need to know whether you can fit a big ass photo booth in the small function room you reluctantly paid for. Ok ok let me get to you in a moment..holy crap I still haven't done *insert whole to-do list here!

2. So bored..
Haih..no work to do so bored. OUCH! (Future busy me just slapped me on the face)
Note to self: enjoy and cherish free days like you will never get them again because you will never get them again. I'm serious.

3. You want what?
Cue: frustrated voice in accommodating tone *this is a skill. I kid you not.
Speaking to a client: What do you mean you want all the food counters to be crammed together? You want your coffee counter to be in front of the door? But..That will obstruct people from walking in and out of the room..Oh it's ok? You want the dessert counter sticking to the main course counter? But it doesn't look nice..You don't mind? You want us to change it now? The event in the opposite room is too noisy? You invited too many people and can we change your event to another room now? Why don't you tell me next year?!
Oh you want me to be here cos you think the microphone is going to malfunction later?

4. Hungry!
Oh I'm freaking hungry right now!
11.40pm: What?! 20 more minutes to lunch time?
3.00pm: Oh damn I'm hungry. Should've eaten more at lunch. Lemme eat some snacks.
6.00pm: Crap I'm hungry again. But I still have a lot of work to do! But I'm really hungry!

5. Self Reflection
Peaceful times: Actually this job is not bad. It's quite interesting. I love doing this cos I see different things all the time.

Stressful times: I hate my job. I'm not meant to do this. Why am I even here? Where is my life heading? What is the meaning of life!? I hate this! Last minute requests...argh! *browse jobstreet for "better opportunities"

What are the different feelings YOU experience during work?

No comments: